A footrest under the desk can make your workday more enjoyable. The footrest height is one of the most essential components of an under-desk footrest, and it goes in line with your office or gaming chair.
Check out our best office chairs under $100 to get some ideas!
A footrest should not be too high; it should be perpendicular (90-degree) to your knee. A footrest should be between 2 and 5 inches high.
Also, a footrest should offer you comfort regardless of its height. Read on to get an answer to the question, “how high should a footrest be?”
How High Should A Footrest Be?
The height of a footrest can vary from person to person. However, it is generally between two and five inches above the ground.
For example, the ErgoFoam Ergonomic Foot Rest sits comfortably underneath your desk and provides you with a soft feeling of cushioned legs.
- Most Comfortable Foot Rest in the World - While "pure memory foam" foot rests flatten during use and offer little support, our ErgoFoam High Density Foam was engineered with the perfect firmness to...
- Work From Home in Comfort - ErgoFoam's ergonomic desk foot rest provides firm support for your feet and helps ensure your sitting position is upright. Improving your posture has been proven to reduce...
- Wider Than Other Memory Foam Foot Rests - The ErgoFoam foot rest measures 17.3" x 11.5" x 3.9", allowing you to sit in a more comfortable position than shorter foot rest pillows. Be sure to check...
- Lifetime Warranty - ErgoFoam is backed by a comprehensive Lifetime Warranty. Simply email us a photo of the issue and ErgoFoam will replace your office foot stool, no questions asked.
Each person’s physiology will determine the height of their under-desk footrest. In particular, many people suffer from sciatica if they are sitting in a poor chair without proper foot support.
Your footrest should be high enough to support your body while working at your desk. Your posture will be determined by your footrest, the height of your chair settings, monitor height, chair arms, and desk height.
Most footrests can be adjusted from two to five inches high. Remember that a shorter person may require a footrest with a greater height than five inches, while a taller person may only need two inches.
You will need to arrange your office space correctly before you can choose a footrest.
Then, adjust your footrest by adjusting the height of your monitor, desk, and chair to the right height, as shown in this diagram.
|– good for posture||– takes some time to get used to|
|– provides back support||– each footrest is different|
|– comfortable||– many materials to choose from|
|– easy to use|
Do you need a flat footrest?
How high should a footrest be? Many studies show that your feet should be flat on the ground or footrest. This is important to maintain a good posture and reduce pain from sitting for long periods.
The HUANUO Adjustable Under Desk Footrest makes it easy to set your footrest posture whether you want it to be flat or elevated.
- Ergonomic Office footrest - Helps to improve posture by keeping your feet and legs elevated. Rest your legs in your office while working, or at home after a long day
- Adjustable Height - Height is manually adjustable to 3 different positions: 4.3" , 5.5 ", 6.7" (11cm/14 cm/17cm). Super easy for you to find the perfect position to suit your needs
- Easy Angle Adjustment - Tilts -30°- +30°to support your legs at your preferred angle. The Angle can't be fixed, it rocks back and forth which encourages leg movement
- Massage Textured Surface - Comes with a large non-skid surface (18" X 13"), free-floating platform texture made up of geometric circular bumps for enhanced stress reduction during the work day....
Some studies have shown that a bent footrest can enhance the flow of blood, improve comfort, and reduce leg swelling when sitting at your desk.
You may have felt the pain in your legs and feet if you have ever sat with your feet flat on a table for long periods.
Poor blood circulation can lead to many health issues, including swelling, pain, strokes, pregnancy pains, and wounds that don’t heal. These conditions develop over time due to an interruption in blood flow.
What is the Ideal Angle of a Footrest?
How high should a footrest be? The angle of your footrest should be between 5 and 30 degrees. The angle you choose depends on your preference and how comfortable you are.
Any angle between five to thirty degrees will work for you if you are looking for a footrest that will increase blood flow to your feet and legs. A 30-degree angle is the best for swelling in the legs.
Many angled footrests can be adjusted to meet your needs. These footrests can be adjusted to allow more movement of your legs when you’re sitting.
They also allow you to adjust the position to suit your comfort.
Angled footrests offer more options, including position adjustments and sliding. There are many options for angled footrests.
They come in various materials, with different degrees of hardness and softness. You can choose hard plastic, gel material, foam, wood, or plush.
How To Use A Footrest?
Some people misuse a footrest. Below are practical ways to use a footrest for the best comfort:
- Make sure to clean the area where the footrest is placed
The surrounding floors should be regularly cleaned to ensure the footrest has the best grip and isn’t damaged by dust and other debris.
After you’ve used the footrest for a while, it will also need to be cleaned. Most plastic footrests can be cleaned by wiping a damp cloth.
Foam footrests come with a removable cover that can easily be washed. Cleaning outdoor shoes will not be as difficult if you plan to wear socks or go completely barefoot.
Tip: Footrests can last longer if they are properly maintained and cleaned.
- Kick Up Your Feet, Enjoy the Feel of Memory Foam: Made with premium memory foam, our foot rest under desk uses your body heat to soften and conform around your feet for total comfort
- Hard Flooring is Harsh on Feet, But Not Anymore: The flat ground creates unwanted pressure points on your feet, legs, and hips. Get support by using our under desk footrest
- Shaped for Arch Support: Our teardrop shaped foot rest is designed to contour to your foot's natural arch, provide support to this often forgotten area of the body
- Promotes Optimal Circulation: Sitting at your desk for extended periods can lead to discomfort in your legs and feet. Our under desk foot rest supports better circulation and comfort
- Check that your chair or desk is set up ergonomically
It is important to ensure that your desk, chairs, screens, keyboard, and mouse are ergonomically placed before you add another piece of furniture.
This will allow you to sit comfortably at your desk. Additionally, the footrest makes it easier for you to position it at the right height, angle, and location.
If you don’t, it might be necessary to adjust the footrest.
The footrest should be slightly in front to avoid the chair from hitting the footrest. Your feet should also be slightly in front of the chair when you are resting your feet on it.
You shouldn’t lean forward so much that your feet touch the footrest or your back is swollen.
- Place the footrest in the correct position
At a minimum, a footrest should allow for tilt adjustment so you can adjust the angle of the surface where your feet rest to your preferences and height.
What angle should a footrest sit? It is best to tilt your footrest at a 45-degree angle. This promotes blood flow to the legs.
It also allows your feet to be in the most neutral position possible. You should not tilt the footrest beyond the 30-degree limit, even if it is designed into the footrest.
- ERGONOMIC ADJUSTABLE ANGLED TEXTURED FOOT REST: Improve leg circulation with the Mind Reader adjustable massage surface device that lifts and angles your legs, feet, knees and ankles to a position...
- INCREASE LEG & BACK COMFORT WHILE SITTING: Proper posture and sitting position are key to overall comfort - making sure your legs and feet are positioned comfortably while you work or while sitting at...
- FOOT MASSAGE PEBBLED SURFACE with SWIVEL: Specially designed raised rounded pebbled textured surface is perfect for instant bottom foot massage - remove shoes and gently slide bottoms of your feed...
- ONE FOR HOME AND ONE FOR OFFICE: Get two footrests to ensure you are comfortable at home, at work or away at college - look for simple inexpensive ways to reduce pain created by sitting for long...
- Adjust the height of your footrest
Many footrests are purchased because the desk or chair is too big for the user. However, not all footrests offer height adjustment features.
If so, these are the steps to correct it:
- Adjust the height of the footrest, so your feet are at the footrest.
- You should also ensure your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Your hips should not be higher than your knees. They should be at the same level as your hips.
If your workstation is too big, you might consider a height-adjustable footrest. This will make it more likely that your footrest will suit you.
You’ll also have more control over the height of the footrest. This will make your sitting experience more ergonomic and healthier.
Most footrests can be adjusted in height between 3 and 5 inches. Some models like the Mount-It Adjustable Footrest have a remarkable height range that can reach up to 15 inches.
- ERGONOMIC– This under desk foot rest with help to reduce strain and fatigue by keeping your legs and feet elevated. Adjustable height and angle reduces pressure on lower back and alleviate...
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE- Convenient foot pedal control lets you adjust the massaging footrest without leaving your chair. Offers 5 levels of height adjustment that lets you stretch your legs for increased...
- MASSAGING ROLLERS – If you experience sore feet, use the rollers on this office foot rest to alleviate any discomfort. These rollers will massage your feet and improve circulation.
- DURABLE – Non-skid support surface provides added control. Rubber grips underneath the footrest will prevent it from slipping and moving around.
The greater the height adjustability, you can be more certain that it will meet all your needs.
Tip: Wearing shoes can result in less wear than barefoot.
After you’ve followed these steps, sit down in the same position for several hours or days to get used to it. You can make minor adjustments if you feel discomfort.
So, back to the question, “How high should a footrest be?” the height should be sufficient to support your feet while you sit at your desk at a 90-degree angle.
The standard height for a footrest ranges from two to five inches.
There are two options for footrests: angled or flat. There are many reasons to choose one. Experts recommend that the footrest be flat to support your feet properly.
Experts also believe that an angled footrest can offer more benefits than a flat one. You have many options for under-desk footrests that will make your workday more enjoyable and less painful.
With this article, you can make an informed purchase decision on the ideal footrest to choose.