Sitting and working for hours in front of your computer screen can be a tedious job, but if you are using a chair that is not comfortable, it will affect your physical health and may create a range of long-term health issues. This is the number one reason that you need the best office chair for tailbone pain.
Sitting for hours on a chair, not explicitly designed for your task, or lacking the basic adjustment options is a bad practice. Thus, it is important to own a good chair for tailbone pain
Thus, it is important to own a good chair for tailbone pain.
Whether you are an employer or employee, you need to ensure that your office space has the right kind of chair.
You need to ensure that you are sitting at your desk with the correct posture and your chair offers the right settings: proper seat height, adjustable backrest, lumbar support, and easy to use.
Some office chairs are specially made for coccyx pain and they offer the best solution to combat back problems and provide lumbar support.
These office chairs are specifically designed to help you maintain the correct body posture, improve your movement, core muscles, and reduce the likelihood of injury while you work.
Maintaining proper posture helps to cut down the stress on muscles and fatigue.
However, to ensure that you need to get a chair, which makes sure that your thighs are parallel to the floor and the arm-rests are present slightly below the elbows.
You can choose to pair up your primary office chair with a stable ball chair and switch between the two throughout the day.
A good, specially designed coccyx chair will improve your spine health, activate muscles, and promote movement, cutting down the risk of coccyx pain.
The 5 Best Office Chairs for Tailbone Pain
1. VIVO Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- Ergonomic Kneeling Chair - We’ve got your back (and your knees, shins, and your behind!) Your ergonomic kneeling chair with back support is equipped with a mesh three-inch thick cushion to ensure...
- Better Posture While Tilted - There is no reason to hunch over your keyboard or desk for hours on end anymore. This posture chair has a functional design that gives you the posture benefits of...
- Heavy Duty - This ergonomic kneeling stool is designed with a strong metal base and is constructed to last. Your new rolling kneeling chair supports up to 250 lbs.
- Modern Design - With a sleek all black style – your new kneeling stool is perfect fit for your home, office, classroom, or anywhere you need a little extra support!
A revolutionary chair for bad posture and back pain, Vivo Kneeling Chair by Dragon can be your best solution as coccyx chairs with cut out. Vivo ergonomic kneeling chair allows you to even your body weight and provides support to the lower back.
It is well equipped with scroll wheels, a proper backrest, arm-rests, and perfect seat shape, which prevent coccyx pain from coming and haunting you.
This kneeling chair is specifically designed to correct your sitting posture so that you can work comfortably for an extended period without experiencing any pain.
It even has a seat cushion at an angle of 90 degrees, which offers support to the spine. You can easily adjust the posture based on the task you are doing and allow your coccyx to stay relaxed.
2. Zenergy Swivel Stability Exercise Ball Chair
- HELPS KEEP YOUR BODY MOVING. Safco Zenergy Ball Chair provides an active seating experience that helps encourage good posture, core muscle strength and may help increase concentration.
- ENCOURAGES BETTER POSTURE. Designed with an anti-burst exercise ball and four legs for stability and durability, Zenergy offers the posture benefits of a yoga ball without the rolling. These benefits...
- CHOOSE YOUR ALTITUDE. Each Zenergy ball chair lets you select one of two heights by installing just the feet for a sitting height of 20" or both the legs and the feet for a sitting height of 23" –...
- GREENGUARD Certified products are scientifically proven to meet some of the world’s most rigorous, third-party chemical emissions standards, helping reduce indoor air pollution and the risk of...
This ball chair has an inflatable 17.5″ exercise ball with a mesh cover, enabling you to maintain the proper sitting posture.
Although the shape of the chair looks weird however your spine will love this ball chair due to its design, which plays an impactful role in cutting down your coccyx pain. The chair has got a very peculiar outlook with four sturdy legs having stationary glides.
This inflatable exercise ball chair comes with a mesh cover and a vinyl fabric on the top. It offers a height of 20″ without legs and 23″ with legs. However, when occupied, the size of the chair gets lowered.
3. Steelcase Leap
- Buzz2 fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment,...
- All day comfort and back support - Leap's contoured backrest changes shape as you move to support your entire spine, ensuring long-term comfort
An excellent ergonomic office chair by Steelcase, one of the biggest office furniture manufacturers, the unique design makes it the most comfortable choice. This chair is specially designed for people that are searching for a comfortable office chair that gives them relief from tailbone pain due to sitting for long hours.
Leap allows the coccyx to hang over the back of the seat, reducing the strain on your lower back.
With no pressure on your tailbone, you can concentrate on your job and work for hours without suffering from back pain.
Available in regular and plus sizes, this office chair can take weight up to 226 kg. It has a foam-based seat with medium softness and thickness, which offers your buttocks the comfort you always craved for!
4. Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair
- ALTERNATIVE DESK CHAIR: Created by leading health & fitness experts to improve overall well-being and provide an active outlet for having to sit for long periods of time
- BOOST ENERGY LEVELS: Featuring the same yoga ball as the exercise guide, this chair helps to boost energy levels and increase productivity with an active body and a focused and engaged mind
- RECOMMENDED USER HEIGHT: Designed for users 5' to 5'11" tall and fits most standard-height desks. For a taller chair, add 2 inches with Gaiam's compatible leg extenders, sold separately. 300-pound...
- INCLUDES: Removable 52-centimeter exercise ball, an air pump, an adjustable metal support bar, 4 easy-glide casters (2 back wheels lockable) and a desktop exercise guide to stay active
Gaiam Classic Ball Chair is a yoga and fitness-based chair from Gaiam, a popular company manufacturing yoga, fitness, and wellness products. It is an ergonomic chair that helps in improving the posture and the spinal alignment. The product consists of a 20.4-inch balance ball, a ball holder with a back support bar, and four caster wheels.
This amazing ball chair can significantly eliminate your tailbone discomfort and help you lead a pain-free life.
Highly recommended as a good chair for coccyx pain, this chair can take a weight of up to 136 kg. It is suitable for people with an average height ranging between 5′ – 5′ 11″. Having a ball as the seat; it has a height of 24″.
However, you can increase it by 2″ by attaching leg extenders.
5. Herman Miller Aeron
- Your purchase includes One Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Chair – Size B, graphite color
- Chair dimensions: 41" H x 27" W x 16.75" D. Seat heights: 16”-20.5”.
- Tilt Limiter lets you set the recline range at one of three postures. Tension control lets you adjust the amount of effort needed to recline comfortably. Seat Angle Adjustment changes seat angle from...
- Try the Adjustable PostureFit Sacral/Lumbar support. Two individual pads flex independently and can be adjust to fit the curve of your spine
The Aeron chair from Herman Miller is designed especially for people who have to work in front of their computer screen for hours and complain about the spinal aches, neck strain, and numb shoulders.
This chair is specifically designed using modern technology, which allows the backrest to adjust itself according to your back’s shape. The chair has a unique waterfall design, which allows proper circulation down the thighs and feet even after sitting at the same place for hours.
The curvy seat pan adds up to the benefit as it supports your back, reduces strain on your lower back, thus increasing your work efficiency.
The chair comes with a lumbar pad that continuously slides up and down, adjusting with your continuous movement during typing.
This chair comes with leather coated arm-rests to increase your comfort and allows easy adjustment options with assured flexibility.
Buyer’s Guide – What to look for when buying a Chair for Tailbone Pain
It is so important to own a good office chair to prevent yourself from any lower back injuries like Sciatica or tail bone pain, where you can sit and spend a lot of time working.
The chair that you select should have the ability to make it easy for you to sit on it for hours and work relentlessly, being easy on your back and supporting your health in every way.
Your office chair should provide you the option to adjust its height with your height. If you want to receive optimal comfort, you should sit on a chair so that your thighs are horizontal to the floor.
So, to have access to adjustment, you need to check that your office chair has a pneumatic adjustment lever, which allows you to bring the seat higher up or lower. When your chair gets old sometimes you will face an issue that your chair keeps sinking when you are sitting. If this is the case then you should probably replace the pneumatic cylinder of the chair. We have written a detailed DIY guide to fix this issue by changing the pneumatic cylinder of the chair.
If you are a patient suffering from coccyx pain, you must pick a chair that offers you adjustable backrest, suiting your task. In most cases, the backrest is attached to the seat.
Check if you can move it backward or forward according to your requirement. Also, you must check the locking mechanism of the adjustable backrest.
It should have a proper system that holds the backrest firmly so that it does not tilt backward suddenly.
In case the backrest is separate from the seat, you should look if it is height adjustable and provides you the right angle to maintain the correct posture even while working.
Proper Lumbar Support
When choosing a chair for tailbone pain, you must see if your office chair’s contoured backrest gives your back the necessary support and comfort. Always try to pick a chair that matches the natural contour of your spine.
Usually, all office chairs are designed to offer good lumbar support, but you must personally check that it provides the right posture to your lower back before investing.
Your lower back should be supported in a way that it stays slightly arched all the time. It will help you from getting slump when sitting and working for too long.
Remember to check this point because having a chair with a good lower back or lumbar support can help cut down strain and compression on the lumbar discs.
It is a general rule that office chairs must be wide and deep so that you can sit on it comfortably without hurting your buttocks.
If you are a tall person, you should search for a chair with a deep seat while a shallower one if you are a person with an average height.
Sufficient Seat Depth and Width
An ideal office chair would offer you a comfortable seat with your back resting against the backrest and about 2-4 inches space between the back of the knee and the seat. Your chair should also have the provision of adjusting the seat’s tilt, back or forth, depending on your sitting posture.
Breathable Material and Proper Padding
If you have to work extensively for long periods, you must undoubtedly check the chair’s material.
Always pick a chair that has a material that allows your body to breathe. You can select the fabric and get it customized if required.
The seat of your chair must neither be too soft nor too hard. It should be perfect enough to allow you to sit on it for hours without feeling pain and having enough support.
Adjustable and Padded Armrests
Having a chair with padded armrests will reduce the strain on your neck and shoulders.
However, make sure that the arm-rests are also adjustable, allowing you to position it in a way that provides your arms the required rest and comfort while cutting off the chances of slouching.
If the chair comes with padded armrests then it is always better for extra comfort.
Easy Adjustment Controls
You must try to get a tailbone friendly chair, which allows you to control all the operations regarding the seated position’s adjustment. It will keep away the strain of working on the chair for hours to get a definite adjustment done.
The user must be able to tilt, go high or low, and swivel from the seated position.
If you are sitting and trying to adjust your chair, you will likely get the right adjustment done effortlessly. Once adjusted, you can comfortably work for hours without feeling stressed.
Easy to Move with Swivel and Casters
The ability to move around adds up to the usefulness of your office chair. If your chair has swivel and casters, you can easily rotate or easily reach different spots in your workspace. Easy mobility adds up efficiency.
P.S. Do not forget to consider the price element. You must choose an ergonomic office chair which is comfortable for your back and also fits in your budget.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
What type of chair should you sit in with tailbone pain?
Pain in the Tailbone pain is very annoying, and it can have a negative impact on your life. In the most common case, it would start with decreasing your effectiveness at work, leading to severe issues in the future.
So, if you are experiencing symptoms of tailbone pain, you must definitely go for an office chair for that supports your lower back, like the Steelcase Leap.
It is very tricky to get the right chair because each person has a different height, weight, and coccyx pain level.
Therefore, it would help if you go for an ergonomic chair with the following qualities:
- Adequate back and lumbar support like Herman Miller Aeron OR OFM Ergo Office Chair
- It should have an easily accessible adjusting handle, which allows you to adjust the backrest, arm-rest, and seat height.
- The chair should have a comfortable yet firm seat to support your lower back effectively.
Why does my chair hurt my tailbone?
If you strictly follow the correct sitting posture, it would require you to place your body weight on sit bones and the thighs. The upright position with a slight arch in the back is known as lumbar lordosis.
However, you would end up hurting your tailbone when slouching on a chair due to boredom, work pressure, and tiredness.
When you slouch, the entire body pressure comes directly over your tailbone. Your sacrum or tailbone is not equipped to support the whole body weight.
It leads to an irritation in the sacrococcygeal joint and the soft tissues in that area.
This is how you lead to hurting your tailbone when sitting on a chair. You must use quality, assured, comfortable or seat cushions that would support your lower back when you sit and work for hours.
Is it normal for your tailbone to touch the chair?
No. If you sit according to the upright position, your tailbone will not touch the chair. When you sit on the chair, the body pressure should be on your thigh bones.
If your tailbone is touching the chair, you need to work on your posture. Get a good work chair to check on your posture and avoid inviting issues related to coccyx pain.
Why does my tailbone hit the chair when I sit?
The tailbone is very likely to hit the chair if you are reclining on the chair. When you slouch, you put all the body pressure on the lower back and the sacrococcygeal joint, making the tailbone touch the chair and carry your entire body weight.
If this habit is prolonged, it leads to chronic pain in your lower back and the coccyx.
With so many options available around, selecting the right office chair especially for tailbone pain can be difficult.
However, if you are really looking forward to maintaining good health and balancing your heavy work-life comfortably, we highly recommend you to choose either HM’s Aeron or Steelcase Leap.
Both these office chairs are a wonderful choice if you have constant complaints about unwanted back pain.
Designed using modern technology, both these chairs would easily adjust its backrest according to your spine and provide complete protection to your back.
However, if you search for something with the flavor of yoga and sport, the classic Zenergy Ball Chair can be a great choice. It is less expensive and comfortable, allowing you to take care of yourself in an efficient way at a much lower costs.
No matter whichever office chair you choose for coccyx pain, try to avoid the cheap ones as they can cause more damage than benefit.
Recommended Articles to Read