Looking for the best office chair mat for carpet floor?
Whether you have a low pile, medium or high pile carpet you definitely need a good chair mat to protect your carpet from the damage that can be caused by office chairs wheels.
For your ease we have divided the list of best chair mats for carpets into 2 categories:
We have spent more than 16 hours of time researching this topic and then prepared this list of best mats for carpeted floors.
Comparison of the 10 Best Chair Mat for Carpet
|Chair Mat||Suitable for||Material||Shape||Price|
|OFM ESS Chair Mat||Low Pile Carpets||Polyurethane||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Dimex Office Chair Mat||Low Pile Carpets||PVC||Square||Check Price on Amazon|
|Kuyal Office Chair Mat||Low and Medium Pile Carpets||PVC||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|MuArts Heavy Duty Hard Chair Mat||Low Pile Carpets and Hard Floors||Hard Material||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Marvelux Glass Chair Mat||Low and Medium Pile Carpets||Polycarbonate||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|FloorTex Glaciermat Chair Mat||Low, Medium and High Pile Carpets||Tempered Glass||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Amazon Basics Chair Mat||High Pile Carpets||Polycarbonate||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Floortex Chair Mat||Plush and High Pile Carpets||Polycarbonate||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Clearly Innovative Store Glass Chair Mat||Low, Medium and High Pile Carpets||100% Glass||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|ES Robbins Everlife Chair Mat||High Pile Carpets||PVC Vinyl||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
The Best Chair Mats for Low and Medium Pile Carpets
- CHAIR MAT protects your carpet and flooring from surface friction from your desk chair wheels. The transparent chair mat allows flooring colors to show through the mat.
- 1/4" THICK CARPET PILE is the ideal pile for this chair mat. The gripper-back surface of the mat works best with 1/4" thick carpet pile.
- RAMPED EDGES that allow for easy off/on rolling.
- EXTENDED LIP allows for under desk coverage. This chair mat for carpets measures 36" x 48" and is 2.2 mm thick.
Our first recommendation of a low pile carpet chair mat is the OFM ESS Collection Chair Mat. It is definitely going to attract you with its sophisticated design. The high level of thickness will protect your carpet from wear and tear.
But these features are more or less present in almost all the office chair mats. So what’s unique about this chair mat for carpets?
One of the most common complaints of users who tried plastic chair mats earlier is that the chair does not roll smoothly on the mat.
This is where the OFM mat will help you – It supports the gliding motion without slipping, this chair mat uses its remarkable property of slip resistance to help you glide your chair without any problems.
Besides this, other features include durability and strength, which protect the carpet and prevent the damage of the chair wheels. It is transparent, and hence it helps to bring out the shine of your carpet.
The edges are precisely shaped to ease out the mobility of the chair.
Overall its prime motive is to provide comfort along with safety. The grooves on the mat helps the chair to get a good grip of the mat and maintain balance in case of any movement.
- For low pile carpet: Designed with a smooth top surface for easy chair movement and a cleated backing to grip carpet up to 1/4 (0. 25) of an inch thick
- Product DETAILS: 36 X 48 inch chair mat with Lip, suitable for small to mid-size work areas such as an apartment, dorm, or home office – packaged in a cylinder for shipping stability and lays flat...
- Blends with your décor: Designed with industry leading clarity to seamlessly fade into your floors
- Product sustainably sourced from recycled materials. Coverage Area- 12 square feet
After talking about the first two chair mats, it’s time to take a look at this absolutely awesome dimex low pile carpet office chair mat with some of the most desirable features.
This chair mat made of PVC is a perfect choice for those who have a low pile carpet in their home office or office. Let us go through some other parts of this chair mat which make it unique.
The surface is flat as a pancake which helps in the swift rolling, and the back is studded, which ensures a powerful grip on the carpet. Moreover, it is transparent enough to enhance the visibility of the carpet.
The users are highly impressed by these features. But wait, that’s not the end. We still have a lot more in store.
Let’s see what’s more in the box!
So, to begin with, it ensures a high level of comfort without compromising the factor of safety. It is ideal for small to medium-sized rooms, and it blends very well with your office or home decor. Moreover, you can also use it for hard floorings.
Perhaps the only downside is that it provides only 1-year warranty which we feel is a bit less than what other good brands are offering.
- Thick and Sturdy: 2.2MM, More Thicker. Made of top-grade PVC material, these chair mats are thick and strudy yet very pliable to prevent cracking or shattering, durable and reliable for long-term use.
- Effective Grip: Studded underside holds the mat firmly in place on carpet floors - Suitable only for use on Low and No Pilee carpets.
- Move with Ease: The unique surface texture allows your office chair to move easily while carrying out daily tasks, but has enough grip to maintain controlled rolling so the chair doesn't skid around....
- Eco-friendly: No off-gassing - odorless, free from BPA, phthalate, PVC and volatile toxins for a healthy indoor environment.
We are sure, you are impressed by the first two products already mentioned in this article, by now, and must have secretly selected one in your mind.
However, we will suggest you wait for a little more as we are not done yet. We are still left with few more office chair mats that are again very reliable in quality and durability.
Talking about the features, Kuyal Chair mat has a smooth finish that increases the chair’s mobility without any risk of slipping due to the anti-slip property. The most important thing about this chair mat is the protection that it provides to the carpet or the hardwood floor against the scratches caused by the constant movement of the wheels of the chair.
It is made up of high-quality PVC material without any toxic chemicals, which makes it eco-friendly. It is transparent and thus ideal for your newly carpeted floor. It is pretty strong and can resist any kind of mechanical or chemical abrasion.
The underside of this office chair mat is designed in such a way that it helps to develop a proper grip on the carpet or floor. Thus it ensures safety while rolling on the chair in between your stressful work schedule.
Moreover, this frequent rolling motion provides adequate comfort to your back and legs and prevents them from fatigue.
- Specifications: 47inch x 35inch x 0.2inch (length x width x height), weighing about 14LB. the thickest and heaviest compared to other chair mats of the same size.
- Dual Purpose: Suitable for carpet or hard floor, it is made of hard material, and it cannot be folded or curled, completely flat, similar to glass chair mat, but more durable heavy duty than glass...
- Transparency: As crystal-clear as glass, the hard floor or carpet pattern can be clearly seen through MuArts upgrade version chair mat.
- Heavy Duty and Durable: 0.2 inch thick, weighing about 14LB, It is made from non-toxic and odorless special material, which can withstand 1200lb of pressure.
Thick, sturdy, durable and crystal clear are few words that you can associate with this fantastic chair mat from MuArts. With more than 8000 reviews on Amazon and a rating of 4.5, it is one of the best glass chair mat available in the market today.
However, it is quite heavy as compared to other chair mats of similar dimensions. But that does not hamper its usage in any way.
In fact, you can use it for both carpeted floor and hardwood floor without much hassle.
The next thing which should be mentioned here is the material used in making it, that is plexiglass.
Without giving you a full chapter on Chemistry, let us explain you what is plexiglass.
Plexiglass is a transparent thermoplastic often used in sheet form as a lightweight or shatter-resistant alternative to glass.
Now, what is the difference between this mat and other chair mats on the list?
Since plexiglass is a very hard material, it makes this chair mat quite difficult to fold and it remains totally flat just like any glass chair mat.
However, in terms of durability, it is much ahead of glass chair mats.
Sometimes you spend a lot of money to get the perfectly designed carpet but then you use a chair mat which is completely opaque and sometimes affects the room decor.
But MuArts chair mats are totally transparent and covers a small area, but big enough to roll your chair on it.
This chair mat is highly durable and can withstand heavy loads without getting damaged.
Furthermore, you will get a 1- year warranty and all-time assistance by the customer care unit, in case of any difficulty you face while using this product.
The only small downside that we found for this mat is that it sometimes slides on the carpet. You can probably put a non-skid grip shelf liner between the mat and carpet to prevent it from sliding.
- 100% PURE POLYCARBONATE CARPET CHAIR MAT FOR LIGHT/MEDIUM/HEAVY USE - 30" x 48" - Tough, durable premium chair mat provides the ultimate carpet protection. Rectangle shape perfect for use under office...
- HIGH IMPACT STRENGTH FOR ERGONOMIC GLIDING - Durable polycarbonate chair mat with a smooth easy glide surface to provide added ease of movement, which is proven to reduce leg fatigue by taking the...
- PREMIUM STUDDED BACK COMPUTER CHAIR MAT - Expertly designed studs provide effective grip to keep the rug firmly in place, whilst preventing damage to low, standard and medium pile carpet that can be...
- SAFE & FAMILY FRIENDLY MAT - No Odor, No Toxins, No Cadmium, No Tin and No Lead. Our long lasting clear polycarbonate chair mats are easy to maintain - simply clean the pad with warm soapy water, no...
The Marvelux chair mat is manufactured from 100% pure polycarbonate and they are made in the UK. Designed for low and medium pile carpets, the marvelux chair mats provides a good enough protection to your carpets.
A notable downside of this chair mat is that it slides from time to time if you use it on medium pile carpets.
The Best Chair Mats for High Pile Carpets
- Crystal-clear, reinforced glass construction supports up to 1,000 lb.
- Polished edges and radius corners create elegant finish to match any decor
- Ultra-tough, perfectly flat surface for easy-glide ergonomic benefits
- Versatile design protects both hard floors and all pile carpets
Floortex is 19-year-old company that has become one of the leading and well known global supplier of chair mats and surface protection mats for offices and homes.
If you are looking for a chair mat for your chairman or a C-level executive room then you should pay attention to this chair mat.
All Floortex mats are made of specially treated type of safety glass, that is toughened to make it 5 x stronger than a normal glass.
It can easily hold a weight of up to 1000 lbs.
The Floortex mats are really high quality that comes with a 10-year limited warranty. Ofcourse the quality comes at a premium prices so you will have to pay a higher price than other mats in the market.
We would say its a one-time investment for your home office or executive office.
This one comes from the well known Amazon Basics brand. The Amazon Basics chair mat is made of a high gauge polycarbonate material specially designed for high pile carpets. With more than 4300 reviews and a rating of 4.5 on Amazon, it qualifies as one of the best mats for thick carpets.
The only downside of this mat is that it cannot hold a weight of more than 250 lbs therefore it is not ideal for an overweight or obese person. Remember the 250lbs includes the weight of the chair as well so if you are overweight we recommend you to look at a heavy duty chair mat like this one from Floortex.
8. Floortex Chair Mat – Best for Plush Pile Carpets
- Rectangular chair mat - protects plush carpets from damage caused by moving chair casters; made from polycarbonate - an incredibly tough and firm material which will not crack, curl, discolor or smell
- Chair wheels will not sink into a polycarbonate mat under correct use
- The transparency of this mat allows your flooring to show through - it won't look intrusive in your home or Office; lies perfectly flat right away and has an easy glide surface to help reduce leg...
- Safe for the environment; 100% recyclable; free from toxic chemicals and PVC; child and pet safe; GREENGUARD certified
Floortex makes different types of mats and each one is made for a different purpose. They have a range of chair mats that are made of polycarbonate, PVC, Glass and other hard material.
Each of their mats serve a different purpose – for example Polycarbonate mats are usually made for big and tall users but their PVC mats are not meant for big and tall users.
This chair mat is made to protect your plush carpets from damage caused by moving chair casters. This a a heavy duty chair mat that is made of an incredibly tough and firm Polycarbonate material that will not crack, curl, discolor or smell.
You can consider buying this mat as a one time investment for a long term.
- 𝐁𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐄 ● The ONLY Glass Chairmat with Exclusive Patented 1 Inch Beveled Edges to Easily Roll your chair on and off without Grooving or Cupping the Wheels. This...
- 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄 ● Stylish Tempered Glass Chair Mat with a maximum capacity of up to 1000 pounds ensures that your floors will be protected from...
- 𝐄𝐂𝐎 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐋𝐘 ● Made from Rapidly Renewable Natural Silica Sand that is Odorless, BPA-Free, and Phthalate-Free instead of chemical laced, man-made vinyl, like many...
- 𝐋𝐈𝐌𝐈𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐘 ● This long lasting, high strength durable glass floor mat is warranted for life to give its customers...
If you are looking to invest in a glass chair mat for your carpeted flooring then you should pay your attention to this chair mat from Clearly Innovative.
The company claims to have an exclusive patented 1-inch beveled edges on the chair mat. This is done to help you for easily rolling your chair on and off the chair mat.
This mat has more than 750 reviews on Amazon with an amazing rating of 4.8 as on the date of writing this article.
To summarize, there are so many benefits of this chair mat
- Complete beveled edges that makes it easy to roll on/off the mat
- Works on all carpeted floorings and even on hard floorings
- Made of 100% glass
- Holds up to 1000 lbs
- Highly durable
- Gives a professional look to home office or office
- Anchor bar chair mat cleat system holds securely, yet is gentle on carpet and fingers
- Green guard certified for low chemical emissions to ul 2818
- Protects high pile carpets up to 1" thick including padding
- High performance chair mat engineered for intensive usage over 8 hours/200+ lbs.
The last one but not the least on our list of best chair mats for carpets is the Everlife Chair mat from ES Robbins.
ES Robbins is more than 50 years old American company with manufacturing facility in Alabama.
All of their chair mats are made in USA.
This chair mat is made of Vinyl and comes with a proprietary AnchorBar chairmat cleat system that ensures the mat remains in place on a high pile carpet.
Perhaps in this price point it is an excellent choice if you are not looking for a glass mat or a tempered glass mat.
All in All the ES Everlife Chair mat is a sturdy and durable high performance chair mat with a long life.
Five Chair Mat Alternatives
Everything in this world has an alternative, just like a chair mat. It is not compulsory to use a mat to protect your carpet.
You already know that the caster wheels are mainly responsible for causing damage to the floor or the carpet.
Can you replace them? The good news is, Yes, you can replace the caster wheels with rollerblade style wheels which causes less damage to the floor.
These rollerblade wheels are made up of polyurethane. It does not cause any long term damage to the floor due to its small surface area which causes relatively less harm to the surface of the floor and does not hamper the movements of the chair.
Moreover, these wheels are much more durable than the commonly used caster wheels which provides an extra edge to the users of rollerblade style wheels.
2. Use Chairs without wheels
This is one of the most effective alternatives to a chair mat. However, in the case of a carpeted floor, it may cause some amount of irreparable damage.
But it is perfect for hardwood floors and prevents dents and marks. There are many chairs without wheels available in the market, which can help you keep your floor maintained.
- Electric Height Adjustable: The desk has 3 preset buttons to customize your desired heights from 27.16" to 46.06"
- Elegant Workspace: The large work surface measuring 48" x 24" to provide ample room
- Electric Lift System: The lift system with sturdy steel. Contained an industrial-grade steel frame that is able to support up to 155 lbs
- Simple Assembly: The desk platform comes packaged in 2 sections for assembly by the precise screws and accessories
If you remove the office chair, the need to use an office chair mat automatically gets eliminated.
Isn’t it? But that is only possible if you use a standing desk.
It is undoubtedly an old-school idea for a lot of people, but it can serve as a good alternative to a chair mat. Besides standing desks also offer a lot of benefits for your body.
Moreover, it gives you the scope to come out of your long sitting schedule and walk a little bit to give a boost to your physical health.
However, some of the currently available standing desks are highly expensive, and you need to search for one which is both affordable and durable.
4. Bell Glides
- 2.5" Overall glide height when installed - similar height to most standard chair casters. This Stool or office chair foot bell glides to convert any office or desk chair in stationary.
- 2" Bottom Width x 1.30" Top Width x 2.5" Overall glide height - similar to most chair casters。Heavy duty weight rated 110 lbs. per glide as a set of 5 supports 550 lbs
- Uses the same mounting stem to attach to chair base as most chair caster - Not fit for Ikea chairs. Ikea chair needs 10mm Stem, but this is 11mm.
- Standard 7/16" x 7/8" (11mm x 22mm) grip ring mounting stem to attach to most standard chair or stool bases - Please measure yours before ordering
Lastly, we would like to talk about the use of bell glides instead of caster wheels, which are generally fixed on the underside of the chair. These bell glides increase the surface area to reduce the effect of the pressure caused by the weight of the chair.
However, this makes the chair immobile and restricts the movement or rolling of the chair.
So if this is not an issue for you, then you can consider using this cost-effective alternative for your carpeted floor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a Chair mat on the carpet?
Yes. Chair wheels potentially damage the carpeted floor or even the hardwood floors when they are rolled from once place to another. It makes the floor uneven and spoils the entire look of the room to a large extent.
This is because the wheels are quite small in size. As a result, whenever some force is acted upon, an enormous amount of pressure is applied on the floor. This destroys the carpet surface within a short span of time.
Furthermore, a chair mat helps in smooth chair movement and gives you the freedom to perform rolling motion to get comfortable while working on a project, playing your favorite game, or watching a movie.
Besides the comfort, it also helps to prevent the carpet from dirt particles that are generally adhered to your feet as you keep it on the mat.
So considering all these factors, we would like to say that an office chair mat is absolutely essential for protection and comfort.
However, you can try out some alternatives already mentioned in the preceding section of this article.
How to get a new chair mat to lay flat?
There are few chair mats that are delivered to the customers rolled in a box. When you unpack the box and take out the chair mats it becomes really difficult to straighten or flatten the chair mat.
But don’t worry as we have provided easy directions that you can follow to flatten the plastic chair mats.
- Hair Dryer
- Heavy items like stones, flower pots, paper weights or any other heavy items in your house.
Take the mat to an open area where you can unroll it easily. You can either take the mat outside where you have direct sunlight or near a window where you can keep the mat in sunlight.
In case you don’t have bright sunshine or you live in cold conditions, you can take the mat to another room and increase the temperature of your air-conditioner, ideally to 80 degrees. After the temperature becomes warm, the mat will begin to relax, making it a bit easier to unroll.
Place the mat on the floor and try unrolling the mat slowly in the opposite direction (downwards direction).
Place heavy materials like a flower pot, stones or paper weights on the corners of the mat so that the mat stays in that position.
Switch on the hand dryer and blow it thoroughly all over the mat for about 15-20 minutes. This will ensure that the mat is warm, helping it to be in the straightened position. Keep the mat in the same position for at least 8-10 hours.
If you follow above steps, your mat should gradually flatten within few hours.
Few Points to Note:
- Remember that thicker mats could take longer than 4-6 hours to flatten out.
- The warmer the mat the quicker it will lay flat.
Lastly, we would like to say that before buying any chair mat, take note of your carpet type, size of the mat and your budget. After that, carefully select the best mat for your carpet depending on the type of your carpet whether its low pile, medium pile or high pile carpet.
You will find that these are some of the best office chair mats available at an affordable price without compromising the quality. If you are buying a chair mat for the first time, this article can become your ultimate guide. Please feel free to share this with your friends or with someone who may be benefited by reading this article.