Why in the world would there be a best office chair for a short, heavy person?
Is there such a different approach to buying your best chair when you are not that tall, yet your weight puts you in the category of a heavy person?
In this article, we will unpack these questions and guide you to make an informed choice.
It already poses a challenge to find an ideal office chair for a heavy person, but the combined factor of the person being short makes the selection even more complicated and will therefore require careful consideration.
What does it mean to be classified as short?
When you are below the average height of 5’9 for men and below 5’4 for women, you are considered to be short.
For the purposes of this article, we look at people weighing more than 300 pounds as heavy.
The following features will be considered in the comparison between the two chairs.
|Weight capacity||300 pounds and upwards|
|Seat height adjustment||Between 16 and 20 inches|
|Seat specs||20 inches width, 19 inches depth|
|Ergonomics and Adjustability||Range|
|Customer rating (Amazon)||Rating out of 5|
|Assembly||Fully assembled or needs assembly|
As this category of chairs is not that easily available, we will only be comparing two products.
Best Office Chair for Short, Heavy Person
Vue Intensive Use Mesh Task Chair
- Sold as 1 Each.
- Rated for 24/7 use.
- Back provides ample support and ergonomic shaping to provide all-day comfort and may help prevent fatigue.
- Breathable nylon mesh helps keep users cool and comfortable throughout every workday.
The Vue Intensive Use Mesh Task Chair is a product of Safco and it has a maximum weight capacity of 500 lbs.
It is made of breathable mesh fabric for the back, which allows for a cooling effect and has an excellent ergonomic shape.
The seat material can be chosen to be either vinyl or an upholstered fabric seat.
The colour option is black.
The seat depth is 20 inches, adjustable to 26 inches and the seat width measures 20.5 inches.
Shorter people may even prefer less seat depth to sit comfortably.
The seat height is adjustable between 17.5 and 20.5 inches, which makes it ideal for shorter people.
The chair also comes with back height adjustment.
Adjustable arms set is sold separately. The chair has a back tilt and optional T-pad height adjustment.
This chair is available at a reasonable price of $260 on Amazon (armrests excluded). It requires assembly and comes with an assembly instruction manual.
Safco offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty on their products with varying periods on different parts of their furniture.
The warranty could be downloaded from their website for additional information.
Customers rate this chair at 4.2 out of 5 on Amazon. 68% of customers awarded it a 5-star rating.
The chair needs some assembly, but the tools required are included in the package.
- An extended height adjustment can be added to the chair.
- Make sure that you can fit in the chair before fixing the armrests to the chair.
Ticova Ergonomic Office Chair
- 【Adjustable Office Chair】You can adjust back and lumbar support height; headrest height and angle, armrest height; seat cushion height; tilting angle up to 140°and rocking resilience to your...
- 【Ergonomic Backrest & Headrest】Our spring backrest can perfectly fit your spine, provide high elastic lumbar support and significantly ease the fatigue and pain of your back. Also, our big cuved...
- 【Comfortable Seat & Armrest】Unlike other ergonomic desk chairs' thin shredded foam seat, out seat is made of 3 inches high density foam with W-shaped & waterfall-edge design, providing larger...
- 【Metal Back & Unique Mesh】Our ergonomic office chair's metal & PA nylon back has much stronger bearing capacity compared with other ergonomic mesh chairs using PP plastic. Plus, our high elastic...
Ticova is a professional and fast-developing company specialising in the development of office chairs by stringent testing.
They are an Amazon-affiliate company.
The weight capacity of the Ticova Ergonomic Office chair is 330 lbs.
Although this weight falls into the criteria of our article, it still is considered to be a little lightweight for the heavier person.
The chair has a breathable mesh back, allowing for airflow.
The seat is made from three inches of high-density foam, moulded into a W-shape and it also includes a waterfall-edge design.
The seat is made of fabric and it also only comes in black.
The seat size has a 20.5 inch width and a 20.5 inch depth.
This is within normal range, but could be a little small for a heavier person.
The seat height adjustment ranges between 15.7 and 20.5 inches, ideal for a shorter person to prevent their feet from dangling in the air.
The Ticova Office chair has lumbar support that can be adjusted in height and depth for support to the lower spine, allowing for gentle or firm pressure.
The height and angle of the headrest are also adjustable. In addition, the armrests are adjustable with a larger resting surface and thicker padding for good support.
The back has a tilt angle of 140 degrees.
The price on Amazon is $212, making it highly affordable.
Ticova receives a 4.5 rating out of 5 on Amazon where 75% of customers gave it a 5-star rating.
Ticova offers a one-year warranty and the repair process is handled through Amazon.
Assembly is required, but the assembly process is fairly easy.
- The chair has a padded seat for comfort
- The chair is fully adjustable
- The chair has adjustable head support.
- The gas cylinder may give problems after about two years.
Buyer’s Guide – What to look for when buying an office chair for a Short, Heavy person.
Individual needs and preferences will differ when it comes to things you are looking for in an office chair.
When you are built differently from what is considered to be average, you may need to consider the following features to help you select the perfect chair to accommodate your weight and make sitting for a short person as comfortable as possible.
You do not want the chair to buckle under pressure or break, therefore, you want to buy a chair that can comfortably support your weight.
If you weigh 400 pounds and you can get a chair that supports 500 pounds, you will feel even more secure in the chair.
It is not automatic that all heavy people are tall, yet there is an assumption out there that this is the norm.
An adjustable seat height is essential, but in this case, your seat should be adjustable to between 15 and 18 inches from the ground.
After all, you do not want to have your feet dangling in the air as this is not an ergonomic seating position at all.
- 【Ergonomic Office Chair Customized To You】A rolling office chair adequately supports your spines and hugs your back. The large mesh back is composed with 2 parts, when you sit on the swivel desk...
- 【Large & Tall Office Chair】For some user with longer thighs(5'8" to 6'3" tall), the SUNNOW ergonomic chair is a good choice. You can freely adjust the seat height and allow your feet touch the...
- 【Adjustable Armrest & Headrest】MORE CUSTOMIZED ADJUSTMENTS. The 3D armrests glide up & down at 6 gears, rotate right & left. The headrest go up & down, rotate. Recline and lock the chair...
- 【High-elastic & Breathable Mesh】GREAT QUALITY BUILD. The mesh back and mesh seat are breathable, relieve the trouble of sweating and provide long-lasting support. A good choice for 6-8 hrs work.
The seat depth requirements for a short, heavy person are also different.
A shorter seat is preferred to ensure that the legs can bend down for a 90 degrees ergonomic position. A 20 inch depth is regarded to be the maximum.
Seat With and armrest space
Bigger people need more space to the sides of the chair.
If the armrests are not able to move wider, you may be left with no option but to go armless.
Although this is possible, it may not be the best option to have no armrests if you sit for long hours in that chair each day.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
- How do you adjust an office chair for a short person?
- What is a good chair for a short person?
- What are the overall good dimensions for an office chair for a short person?
- Can I opt for an armless chair if I am short and heavy?
Between the Vue Intensive Use Mesh Task Chair and the Ticova Ergonomic Office chair, there are quite a few differences.
In the end, the most important features are the weight capacity as well as the seat size and in this case, the seat height adjustment to accommodate the shorter heavier person.
The Vue Intensive Use Mesh offers good value for money, can support up to 500lbs and is very affordable.
If the armrests are added at an additional cost, it still remains the best buy of the two chairs.