The easiest solution to protect your hard floor from the wheels of your office chair is by getting the best chair mat for hard floors. However with hundreds of chair mats available in the market the average person gets confused which chair mat is best for hard floors.
We have spent more than 30 hours researching this topic to recommend the best office chair mat for hard floors.
Recommended below are the five best office chair mats for hard floors. This list includes chair mats for hardwood floors, tile floors, laminate floors, vinyl floors and concrete floors.
Comparison of the 5 Best Chair Mat for Hard Floors
|Gorilla Grip Chair Mat||Polycarbonate||Rectangular (with Lip)||Check Price on Amazon|
|Aibob Chair Mat||Polycarbonate||Rectangular (with Lip)||Check Price on Amazon|
|Marvelux Chair Mat||Polycarbonate||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Sallous Chair Mat||Vinyl||Rectangular||Check Price on Amazon|
|Amazon Basics Chair Mat||Polycarbonate||Rectangular (with Lip)||Check Price on Amazon|
The 5 Best Chair Mat for Hard Floors
Some details about the above mentioned chair mats are provided below for your reference, so that you can easily choose the one which is suitable for you in all aspects.
- Protection for Hard Floors: help protect your floors from scratches, dents, and overall wear and tear; this ultra thick chair mat adds a double layer of protection to help keep your floors looking as...
- Easiest Gliding: made in Europe and constructed from heavy duty material, this chair mat allows your chair wheels to glide seamlessly on top of its strong, sturdy surface without scratching, sinking,...
- Slip Resistant Backing: the chair mat for hard floors features a slip resistant backing that helps it to stay firmly in place on your floor; before using mat, test with foot to ensure it is securely...
- Won’t Bend or Crack: this European made design is incredibly durable and meant to last for years; at over 3 millimeters thick, it won’t bend or curl over time and will resist scratching, ripping,...
This Premium Chair Mat from Gorilla Grip comes from a trusted brand, its design is low-profile and it is not an eyesore like various other options of the chair mats. It has a hard durable surface and is available in 2 different sizes. This product is one of the better options if the value and the life span of it is considered.
PERFECT FOR HARD FLOORS: Protect your flooring from scratches and dust of any kind with this perfect office floor mat for hardwood floors, tile, laminate, vinyl, concrete, and linoleum. The office...
SAFE FOR YOUR HOME: The chair mat is no BPA & phthalate for a healthy indoor environment. It is 100% pure polyethylene chair mat. Rest assured you are buying a safe option for your home or...
EFFORTLESS ROLL STABLE GRIP: The unique surface texture allows your office chair casters to move easily while carrying out daily tasks, but has enough grip to maintain controlled rolling so the...
SURFACE DURABILITY & FLEXIBILITY: The mat’s surface is super tough, so our office chair mat won’t be crack or shatter while protecting your office floor from damaging chair casters. Because of...
The AIBOB Chair Mat is a clear mat that does not affect the beauty of the floor. The chair can freely move over the mat. Slip can be easily prevented, thanks to its textured surface. This mat is suitable for different types of flooring surfaces.
- 100% PURE POLYCARBONATE HARD FLOOR CHAIR MAT FOR LIGHT/MEDIUM/HEAVY USE - 30"" x 48"" - Tough, durable premium chair mat provides the ultimate hardwood floor protection. Rectangle shape perfect for...
- HIGH IMPACT STRENGTH FOR ERGONOMIC GLIDING - Durable polycarbonate chair mat with a smooth easy glide surface to provide added ease of movement with rolling chairs, proven to reduce leg fatigue by...
- PREMIUM SMOOTH BACK DURABLE COMPUTER CHAIR MAT - Effectively and safely adheres to hard surfaces to help prevent damage to hard flooring caused by your office chair casters or wheels.
- SAFE & FAMILY FRIENDLY MAT - No Odor, No Toxins, No Cadmium, No Tin and No Lead. Our long lasting clear polycarbonate chair mats are easy to maintain - simply clean the pad with warm soapy water, no...
The surface of the Marvelux Rectangular Office Chair Mat has been designed for easy gliding along protecting the hard floors.
They come in different sizes and can be used alternatively as a craft table mat or even as a dog mat.
- ✅ Highest Quality & Eco-Friendly: The chair mat is made of 100% safe low-piel(front)and non-slip backing material, no creases, no curls & no fade; 100% odorless, non-toxic, BPA free and...
- ✅ Anti-Slip & Move with Ease: SALLOUS is the pioneer of floor mats with vacuum adsorption technology. The chair mat is very strong and stady (thick: 0.16"; size: 55"x35"), made of upgraded version...
- ✅ No Residue & Scratch Resistant: The desk mat has perfect adhesion, and it will not leave glue and any other residues on the floor. Very suitable for hardwood floors can well protect hard surfaces...
- ✅ Easy to Use & Clean: Please remove the plastic film from the back before using the chair mat, and pls ensure the chair mat and floor are completely dry and clean. Easy to clean, washable. If it is...
The Sallous Office Chair Mat has a simple design that helps in minimizing floor scratching noise and offers best grip due to its vacuum absorption technology. It is made up of non-toxic and odor-free fibers and is BPA and Phthalate-free. The non-slip backing can eliminate shifting.
The Amazon Basics Chair Mat comes has a T-shaped design that is perfect for protecting the floor. It is made of high-impact polycarbonate material.
When you are buying an office chair mat for your hard floors, you are required to generally look at various features about it to find a suitable product as per your need. You must have a look at the following features before you buy a chair mat for your hardwood floor-
It is of the cheapest material that is available. Thus, you can use a chair mat made up of Vinyl, if you have to maintain a budget and you are looking for a cheaper chair mat.
Benefits: Affordable, protects your floor from potential scratches that could be caused by an office chair.
Downside: Slides on the floors and the user may face difficulty while moving around.
It is a tough and naturally transparent plastic. The chair mats which are manufactured using polycarbonate are durable and tough. Polycarbonate is quite a strong material and it is used in the manufacture of aircraft windscreens and bulletproof glass.
They are also more expensive when compared to those mats that are made up of PVC or vinyl.
Chair mats made from Polycarbonate usually do not curl, crack, discolour, dent, smell or buckle under normal use.
Probably the best ones if you are looking for something in $30 – $50 price point.
The mats made by tempered glass are unbendable. They are very heavy and transparent in nature. They are the most expensive among all the chair mats. These mats are perfectly flat and smooth surface which helps office chairs to glide over effortlessly.
Tempered glass chair mats are quite adaptable and they can be used on any floor type.
The glass chair mats can be used on carpets, hard floors or a combination flooring.
These glass chair mats usually weigh more than any other chair mat materials however it helps the user to glide very easily while sitting on the chair.
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
PVC chair mats are generally meant for light or occasional use and ideal for home offices.
It is an inexpensive material and shares various properties that are common with vinyl. PVC is considered as a good material for chair mat with proper backing.
Thus, if you have to maintain a budget along with a good material you can switch to this type of chair mat.
- The low range chair mats for hard floors generally cost less than $35. These mats are usually made from vinyl or PVC.
- The mid-range chair mats range between $40 to $80. These mats are made from polycarbonate and have much better non-slip backing than the cheaper mats.
- The high range chair mats costs about $80-200. These are tempered glass mats that provides value for money and usually lasts several years.
3. Presence of Outer Lip
There is a lip around the edge in some hardwood floor mats to prevent the chair from rolling off the mat on the floor, but it might trip one when someone walks around the chair mat.
Few mats have a protrusion on one side for the safety of your precious hardwood surface. If your desk has the footrest, then extension of mat will not be required, but if not then you need to go for it.
The mat’s size will also depend on the layout of the room. But if you want the best class, then you should order a chair mat that will have a size of 1 or 2 inch smaller than their measurements.
You might not consider the mat’s width, unless the product is shipped rolled up, and in that case, the product will require more time to get flatten as compared to a thinner mat. If you have a mat of width 0.1 inches or greater than that, it might be used on rugs and carpets.
Chair mat’s back side grip is very important. The mat’s floor facing side must have smoothness and should not be slippery for the protection of the hardwood floor. It will seem like sanding on the floor, if it slides around on the floor when the chair is being rolled or when someone will walk on it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you need a chair mat for hard floorings?
Yes, a chair mat is required for hard floorings because it will protect the floor from being damaged due to the continuous rolling of the chair. Thus, a suitable chair mat must be used to protect the beautiful floor.
Will office chair wheels scratch the floor?
Yes, there is a possibility that the office chair wheels might scratch the wood floor. Thus, a chair mat must be used to protect the floor, as it is both a cheaper as well as a better way to do so.
Are office chair mats recyclable?
Yes, some of the office chair mats are recyclable, but it depends on the material from which the mat has been manufactured.
These chair mats for hard floors comes in different varieties and will help you to overcome the problems related to the damaging of the hardwood floor due to the rolling of the chairs.
Among the products mentioned above, our recommendation is to go with AIBOB Office Chair Mat. We recommend this because it has all the thickness, durable and is available with a lip.
If you are looking for a mid-range option, then you can probably look at Amazon Basics Polycarbonate Chair Mat with Lip.
This is our second best recommendation on this list of best chair mats for hard floors.
However, do note that all chair mats mentioned above have their own special qualities that might suit you according to your needs. Choose wisely.