A chair is never just a chair if you require a big and tall office chair that can easily support a 500 lbs person.
The workforce consists of a variety of people and you want the bigger person working for your company to feel secure in his or her chair as well.
Not only do you want to make sure the chair can support the weight, but you are looking for durability as well as comfort.
We would love to assist you in finding the perfect sturdy chair at a price you can afford.
Big and Tall Office Chair Comparison Chart
In this review, we will only look at chairs that are manufactured to support at least 500 lbs.
A sturdy build with strong materials is therefore presumed.
The five comes from different manufacturers and vary greatly in price.
|Seat height adjustment
|20 inches upwards
|21 inches upwards
|22 inches upwards
Stealcase Leap Plus
- Buzz2 fabric is 100% polyester
- Wheels for carpet flooring
- Ergonomic chair – features include adjustable seat depth, fully adjustable arms, height adjustable lumbar, lower back firmness control, pneumatic seat height adjustment, recline tension adjustment,...
- All day comfort and back support - Leap's contoured backrest changes shape as you move to support your entire spine, ensuring long-term comfort
Stealcase as a company has an excellent reputation in the chair manufacturing industry.
Their products are considered to be extremely good quality with excellent ergonomics.
The chairs are highly adjustable, but it comes with a hefty price tag.
The chair offers a seat height adjustment range between 15.6 to 19.5 inches.
Coming in just short, an adjustment level up to 20 inches is preferred.
The Leap Plus is designed for the larger person, adding an 18% larger seat capacity to their standard Leap chair.
This relates to a seat width of 22.8 inches and a seat depth of between 16.7 and 18.7 inches.
The waterfall design of the perfectly balanced, well-padded seat cushion helps to relieve pressure on the upper thighs for comfort.
The back seat height of the Leap Plus comes to just more than 22 inches, meaning it will provide excellent support for the back of the larger person.
This larger back on the Plus model adds 12% to the standard model.
This feature may be ideal for a shorter but larger person.
The Stealcase Leap Plus comes with all the featured adjustments like seat depth, dynamic seat design, flexible backrest and lifeback technology for separate upper and lower back controls.
Excellent ergonomics lead to comfort and support, which is evident in this chair.
The chair comes with the Americas limited Lifetime warranty, the best warranty available and is sold for $1 874.
Pros Stealcase Leap Plus
- Highly adjustable
- Comes in a variety of colours
- Extreme high quality
Cons Stealcase Leap Plus
- Quite expensive
BTOD Leather Big and Tall 24/7 Office Chair
- BOSSLEVEL ERGONOMICS: Is it an executive chair, NOU-Mid Century Modern Design or an ergonomic powerhouse? But more to the point, why should you have to choose? With its Click5 Lumbar Support,...
- CLICK-5 LUMBAR SUPPORT OFFICE CHAIR: Different moods and different days need different chairs. So the +Posture modern ergonomic chair gives you 5-Stages of Lumbar Support. We call it Click5, because...
- ARMED (OR ARMLESS) FOR ANYTHING: With FlipAdjust Armrests you can create a task chair with arms, no arms or somewhere in between. It’s a rolling chair with meaningful purpose and space saving...
- STRONG ON LOOKS: This PU Leather Chair has a Heavy Duty Nylon Wheelbase, reinforced with ribs and gussets. The smooth Class-4 Gas Lift gives a seat-to-floor range of 18.7 – 22.4 inches. You have max...
This contemporary luxurious design is an attractive mix of strength and style. The high back has an added headrest and built-in lumbar support.
The armrests and seat are thickly padded for all-day comfort.
Pneumatic seat height control allows the chair to be adjusted.
The seat can swivel and is 22 inches wide. The 4-inch padding makes sitting quite comfortable.
The material used is a mix of leather and polyurethane for added softness and durability.
The back height of the chair is a whopping 28 inches high, a feature that may make it very suitable for a very tall person.
The 23 inches width will provide excellent back support.
Test the back and the position of the headrest to make sure this supports the head and does not do the opposite it is intended to.
Ergonomics comes down to fully adjustable features with a tilt lock mechanism.
The tilt tension can also be adjusted. There is good built-in lumbar support.
The chair is comfortable and sturdy with a classic leather look.
The chair is sold at an affordable $638 with a 2 years manufacturer’s warranty.
- Sturdy classic looking chair
- Added headrest
- Dual Wheel casters can support weight better
- The chair is made of fire retardant foam
- Leather is less breathable.
Amolife Big and Tall Office chair
- Dynamic Variable Lumbar (DVL) Support: All M9 Chairs feature Advanced Tensile Recovery (A.T.R.) Fabric on the DVL. A.T.R. is a woven multilayered nylon that is both responsive and supportive. It...
- Revolve – Extended Recline Technology: Revolve extended recline technology allows for an amazing 127 degree arc angle in full extended recline. Let your body be suspended in a near-flat oasis of...
- 4-Dimensional Armrests: Desks, workstations, battlestations and gaming setups are constantly changing. M9’s 4-D arms are ready to change with them. Gone are the days of the chair arms blocking your...
- Adjustable Backrest Height: Adjust the M9's backrest height so that you're fully supported, from your lumbar curve to your neck. This ensures you get maximum support where you need it most.
The Amolife Big and Tall office chair is supported by a high back with built-in lumbar support at an affordable price.
The chair is constructed from top-of-the-line materials with strong metal plating.
The seat height can adjust upwards with a minimum seat height of 20.p inches. The specs of upward adjustment are not mentioned.
The adjustments are done by the pneumatic control handle.
The seating cushion has a solid base and is well padded with ribbed polyurethane synthetic leather that conforms to the body shape.
The seat width comes in at 22.8 inches, suitable for a large person. The seat depth minimum is 21.7 inches.
The back height is 26,4 inches with integrated lumbar support and a backrest tilt of 155 degrees and a side lever controls the recliner lock function.
The back is padded with soft, high-density foam for maximum support and comfort.
Ergonomic Adjustment includes reclining adjustments and height adjustments.
The armrests are fixed, but recline with the back.
The Amolife Big and Tall office chair comes with a one-year warranty at a very affordable price of $150.
This may be one of the most affordable chairs for a bigger person although the warranty is limited.
- Executive chair with excellent built-in lumbar support
- Available in 3 finishes
- Fitted with nylon dual-wheel casters
- The chair has an added footrest that appears during the reclining position.
- Very affordable
- Narrow 21 inch seat
- Armrests are fixed
- The chair is heavy to lift
Hercules Series Big and Tall Chair
- When you spend more time in your office chair than your bed, a great chair is essential. This adjustable Big & Tall executive office chair boasts an adjustable headrest and generous padding in the...
- [_Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17_] High back design with ratchet height adjustable headrest and built-in lumbar support, 360 Degree swivel seat with waterfall front edge reduces...
- Contoured back and seat with CAL 117 fire retardant foam and embellished mesh trim, LeatherSoft is leather and polyurethane for added Softness and Durability
- Contemporary style Big & Tall ergonomic task office chair for use in the office or home workspace
Looking for a sturdy, simple and affordable chair that can work for a heavier person?
The Hercules Series Big and Tall chair is a Flash Furniture product with advanced comfort and a value-for-money product.
Flash Furniture is a brand that has been around since 2001 and is a privately held company in the USA.
The seat height can be adjusted between 21 and 23.5 inches, suitable for a larger person.
The padded 6 inch thick foam seat has a width of 22 inches to accommodate a larger person and a depth of 19,5 inches.
The waterfall design encourages blood circulation in the legs.
Make sure that the side bolsters in the seat design fit your body type as this can be problematic for some bigger users.
The backrest is 25 inches with a width of 21 inches, covered in leather or Faux leather that is fire resistant.
The length of the back, therefore, has a built-in, comfortable headrest.
The chair has built-in lower back lumbar support for tilt adjustment with a tilt lock mechanism in place. ergonomic and allows for very little adjustment.
The limited adjustments may make it less suitable when sitting for long hours.
The product has a 5-year limited warranty on the parts and labor.
It sells for $370 that is a mid-range affordable price.
- Very affordable seating with padded armrests.
- Great looking chair.
- Comes in 3 materials: Bonded leather, fabric or ventilated mesh.
- Built-in headrest.
- Not a highly adjustable chair.
- Some complaints about bolts stripping and the chair sinking.
Cramer Triton Max
Durability and strength of construction are a trademark of the Triton Max.
It is designed to support heavier people and is made of heavy-duty steel with extremely durable parts.
This may well be the last chair you have to buy.
A pneumatic cylinder allows the seat to be adjusted between 16.5 and 21.75 inches for maximum comfort.
A minimum height of 22 inches is recommended for a larger person.
The contour molded seat (made from 14-gauge steel) provides extra room and comfort. With a width of 23 inches, it is well suited for a large person.
The waterfall edge design supports blood circulation in the upper legs. The seat foam is 3,25 inches thick and flame-retardant.
The back height measures 24.7 inches.
The back is made up of 16-gauge pressed steel inner back plate and an 18-gauge outer shell and is very unlikely to ever break.
A dynamic range of adjustment allows for the full range of seated postures and allows for forward-leaning as well as reclining.
The armrests are also highly adjustable with 3 pivot locking positions.
Amazingly, the Cramer Triton Max has a 15 years warranty and sells for the amazing price of $740.
Pros Triton Max
- A high-performance sure-lock footring increases stability
- Dozens of fabric options to choose from
- Almost indestructible
- 15 years warranty
Cons Triton Max
- Cramer products are made to order and cannot be returned.
Buyer’s Guide – What to look for when buying a Big and Tall chairs with a 500 lbs capacity
Even larger people may have different requirements when it comes to buying the best suited Big and Tall office chair.
Every buyer wants value for money and will be looking for a chair to last, but when sitting in the chair, you want to feel safe and make the seating experience the best possible, especially if you sit for long hours each day.
Weight capacity and sturdy built
There is a general consensus that for a bigger person, the number 1 requirement of a good office chair is that it should support their weight without the fear of the chair breaking.
Seat height adjustment becomes essential for the taller, larger person.
The Big and Tall office chair usually has a strong base and is made from strong materials.
You do not want the chair to sag because of the weight it has to carry.
The second factor is the seat dimensions to accommodate a larger body and be well padded to support the extra weight while potentially sitting for long hours.
Even large people have different body proportions.
The seat width should normally exceed 22 inches and the seat depth will also be determined by the individual body size, including the length of the person’s legs.
Number 3 is the back height where larger people need additional height to best support their bodies.
The placement of a headrest or the absence thereof should also be considered.
A chair coming up higher against the back and almost reaching the neck, will provide excellent support, especially for the larger person.
Ergonomics and adjustability
No office chair should be evaluated without looking at ergonomics and adjustability for comfort and support.
These adjustable features may be even more important for a larger person who needs maximum ergonomic support for long hours of sitting.
Warranty and Price
Lastly, the warranty, as well as the price, will determine if a chair is a good investment for the larger proportioned person.
People may be willing to spend a little more money if the product is supported by a good warranty policy. People will usually buy the best chair they can afford.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which chair is best for sitting in the office for long hours?
- What do I need to know when buying an office chair?
- Am I too big for an office chair?
- How can I know if an office chair is ergonomic?
- Can I try out the office chair before I buy it?
Final Wrap up
When you are looking for the top-of-the-range Big and Tall office chair that can support 500 lbs, the full range of ergonomic features and the Americas Limited Lifetime Warranty makes the Stealcase Leap Plus the strong frontrunner.
With the special features on the lumbar support, this may well be the best chair for a larger person who has to sit for long hours.
This chair is pricey, but may be well worth spending the money for ultimate back health and support and the chair is built to last.
For the buyer with a smaller budget, the Cramer Triton Max may be an excellent option and the 15 years warranty comes in at a close second for excellent warranty policies.
This chair may have fewer ergonomic features, but will also give the bigger person peace of mind for comfortable sitting and it is available for about $1000 less than its closest rival, the Stealcase Leap Plus.