Are office chair bases universal? The short answer is no! The base is the essential part of the chair that carries the load. It also seems to be the part that gets damaged and needs to be replaced more frequently.
Office chairs should be comfortable, durable, safe and have excellent ergonomics. If you can bring all these aspects together in one product, you have a cwinner.
The selection of the correct base is of the utmost importance to provide much-needed stability to the chair. When this detail is neglected, it may come back to haunt you.
- Low-back, armless, office chair with padded backrest and seat for exceptional comfort
- Durable faux leather upholstery in a clean white color; stylish modern design
- 360-degree swivel and pneumatic height-adjustment mechanism; 5-point chrome base with rolling caster wheels
- 275-pound weight capacity; easy to assemble (all necessary tools are included); BIFMA certified
Although most office chair bases seem universal, they vary in diameters between 23 and 28 inches with the larger diameter being more stable. The number of spokes may also vary, ranging from four to six.
When buying office chairs, it is important to base your decision on reliable information about features and quality.
When buying good quality, it benefits the general well-being of employees that spend many hours per day sitting down in front of a desk.
To avoid breakage and accidents resulting from poorly designed bases, made of inferior materials, read through this article to make an informed choice.
Today, we will take a look at different materials used for bases as well as their pros and cons. We will also look at the effect of wheels fitted to the base versus the stable standing chairs and briefly touch on the development of a universal base.
Also Read: Difference Between Hard and Soft Chair Casters
Range of Materials Used for Office Chair Bases
The base is a vital part of the chair and can be made of various materials. The most common ones are plastic, steel, wood or aluminum.
Plastic is a type of polypropylene and is usually not very reliable as it can be damaged easily. The base may snap when the user’s weight causes stress on the structure.
These types of bases are not even reliable for people of average weight. The plastic base may be less expensive, but will have a shorter duration and will have to be replaced much sooner.
When a strut is added to the base during the molding process, it becomes more durable but also more expensive. High-grade nylon, a type of plastic, may even be superior to aluminum with the ability to flex without cracking or breaking.
- Note : To ensure proper assembly, please follow all steps provided in the User manual (provided in pdf below)
- Ergonomic High-back executive chair for home or office work spaces, Comply with BIFMA standard;
- Upholstered in bonded leather for style and durability; comfortable cushions ideal for long work or gaming sessions
- 3D incite lumbar to keep yourself supported, adjust your seat to the optimal position
A steel base seems to be a more obvious choice for people of larger size. The main advantage is the strength of both the spokes or any other part of the base.
So, are all office chair bases universal? The production of a steel base is more complex and more expensive than plastic or aluminum and should thus be purchased only when necessary.
The exception is when a company or business prefers executive chairs with a steel base as part of their business culture.
When the base has the appearance of wood, this part is most likely only decorative as it may be hiding a steel core. Wood is usually very stylish, but on its own, it will not be durable or strong enough to carry much weight.
Taking care of the wood is an additional responsibility to ensure longer-term durability and keep it looking good.
The aluminum chair base is the most popular option on the market. In an office setup with people varying in weight from small to fairly large, this type of chair can usually accommodate the range of people most effectively.
These bases are reasonably priced, they will last longer and because it is lightweight, they can be moved around more easily.
The production time for aluminum chair bases is relatively short when great quantities of the product are ordered.
Are Office Chair Bases Universal with or Without Wheels?
Most of us picture the office chair with wheels, while we slide along in our designated office space and easily twirl around when needed. We seldom think about whether it is a good or a bad thing for our bodies or for the office environment.
Would it surprise you to learn that there are benefits to stationary chairs?
Restricting the movement of employees can actually improve productivity. Movement is associated with playfulness and can distract from productivity and focus.
The moving wheels can cause injuries like rolling over toes or the chair falling over when wheels or casters break.
The floor surface or carpets of the office get damaged by the continuous rolling of the wheels.
Moving wheels over carpet surfaces can even create static electricity that interferes with technology.
Development of Universal Chair Bases
While there are still numerous varieties of office chair bases available on the market, some designers attempted to develop a universal chair base that will fit most office chairs.
This design has a 6-way star shape and is made of heavy-duty, durable high-grade nylon and will fit almost any chair.
When it comes to the maintenance of office chairs, this may solve many problems. If a four-legged chair provides 71% stability and by adding a fight spoke, it goes up to 81%, a six-legged chair should be extremely stable.
What Can We Conclude?
If a company values its employees, it will value their well-being and provide the best office chairs they can afford. When a durable, safe and super supportive base is chosen, it benefits both the company and employees when it provides maximum comfort.
Companies want to avoid injuries as well as the consistent replacement of broken chairs. The type of chairs you choose can even impact productivity and the working culture of the company. You may choose to keep your chairs stationary while your company moves forward.
- BOSSLEVEL ERGONOMICS: Is it an executive chair, NOU-Mid Century Modern Design or an ergonomic powerhouse? But more to the point, why should you have to choose? With its Click5 Lumbar Support,...
- CLICK-5 LUMBAR SUPPORT OFFICE CHAIR: Different moods and different days need different chairs. So the +Posture modern ergonomic chair gives you 5-Stages of Lumbar Support. We call it Click5, because...
- ARMED (OR ARMLESS) FOR ANYTHING: With FlipAdjust Armrests you can create a task chair with arms, no arms or somewhere in between. It’s a rolling chair with meaningful purpose and space saving...
- STRONG ON LOOKS: This PU Leather Chair has a Heavy Duty Nylon Wheelbase, reinforced with ribs and gussets. The smooth Class-4 Gas Lift gives a seat-to-floor range of 18.7 – 22.4 inches. You have max...
The Way Forward
Many factors like your budget and the type of business you run will determine your choice of the type of office chair you are looking for.
Determine your requirements. Start at the selection of the correct base and then also consider the other important features like ergonomics, comfortable seating and armrests.
You want your chairs to be safe and comfortable and for them to last! Always buy the best quality you can afford.
Shop around! Buy a chair that in the long run, in the unfortunate situation of breakage, can be repaired. Know where to find repair parts for maintenance.
So, on the question, are all office chair bases universal, let your chairs reflect the type of business you run: stable, safe, and reliable with products that last almost forever!